No pictures to show
DORR, MICHIGAN – 14 shooters braved sub-50-degree temperatures to compete in the Michigan Rifle & Pistol Association’s 3-Position Conventional Smallbore State Championship at the South Kent Sportsman’s Club on October 3, 2020. The match consisted of 120 total shots fired from the prone, standing, and kneeling positions at 50 yards. The competitor with the highest aggregate score is declared the State Champion. The top shooters in each position were also recognized.
Prone position saw three perfect scores of 400. J. Michael O’Connor (Grass Lake, Michigan) and Cameron Zwart (Comstock Park, Michigan) each had 32X. O’Connor prevailed in the tie breaker with a 19X to 17X second stage. Dylan Gregory (Naperville, Illinois) was third in prone with 30X.
Gregory fired 198 7X and 197 13X for a total of 395 20X to lead all competitors in standing. Timothy Schmeltzer (Greenville, Michigan) finished second in standing with 393 19 X. Emme Walrath (Kenosha, Wisconsin) and Adrianna Beard (Grand Haven, Michigan) each shot 387, with Walrath taking third, 14X to 10X.
In kneeling position Walrath was the lone competitor to shoot a pair of 200s for a 400 21X total. Schmeltzer was second with a score of 398 21X. Zwart shot a 200 second stage for a 396 17X total, good for third.
The aggregate was tightly contested. In the end, Schmeltzer was victorious, earning his first State Champion title. He tallied a total of 1188 61X. Gregory, the top junior shooter, was second at 1187 68X. Another junior shooter, Walrath, was third overall at 1185 55X.
There were five team entries in the championship as well. Teams were comprised of two individuals from the same local club or organization. Schmeltzer and Zwart, representing Grand Rapids Rifle & Pistol Club, were first with a score of 2367 120X. Gregory and Hotko, representing Southport Gun Club were the top junior team and second overall at 2347 114X.
Full Individual Results:
1. Timothy Schmeltzer 1188-61 Greenville, MI
2. Dylan Gregory 1187-68 Naperville, IL
3. Emme Walrath 1185-55 Kenosha, WI
4. Cameron Zwart 1179-59 Comstock Park, MI
5. Adrianna Beard 1178-53 Grand Haven, MI
6. Allison Schultze 1173-55 Elmore, OH
7. J. Michael O’Connor 1169-55 Grass Lake, MI
8. Alexander Straith 1163-34 Birmingham, MI
9. Anthony Hotko 1160-46 Batavia, IL
10. Aliah Lloyd 1152-37 Kalamazoo, MI
11. Benjamin D’Angelo 1147-41 Jamestown, NY
12. Jake Rothenstein 1086-20 Dover, OH
13. John Martin 1078-16 Howell, MI
14. Mark VanEvery 1049-10 White Lake, MI
Full Team Results:
1. Grand Rapids Rifle & Pistol Club (Schmeltzer/Zwart) 2367-120
2. Southport Gun Club (Gregory/Hotko) 2347-114
3. Harambe Marksmanship Unit (Lloyd/Straith) 2315-71
4. Summit County (D’Angelo/Rothenstein) 2233-61
5. Team Steven (Martin/VanEvery) 2127-26